New Hulu Show ”Dopesick” On The Opioid Crisis
The more awareness surrounding the opioid crisis, the more people will be aware of it, and prevention measures can improve and increase. One of the ways to bring awareness and shine a light on the opioid crisis is through filmmakers creating new works to teach others in a meaningful and impactful way. A new series on Hulu, titled “Dopesick,” does just that. Keep reading to learn more about the opioid crisis, “Dopesick,” and how to get help for opioid addiction at the best inpatient rehab facilities.
What is the Opioid Crisis?
The number of people using opioids has been on the rise since the 1990s and has created a devastating impact throughout the country. According to the US Department of Health and Human Services, the opioid crisis background includes:
- In the late 1990s, pharmaceutical companies reassured the medical community that patients would not become addicted to opioid pain relievers, and healthcare providers began to prescribe them at greater rates.
- Increased prescription of opioid medications led to widespread misuse of both prescription and non-prescription opioids before it became clear that these medications could indeed be highly addictive.
- In 2017 HHS declared a public health emergency and announced a 5-Point Strategy To Combat the Opioid Crisis.
Statistics Surrounding the Opioid Crisis
Also according to the US Department of Health and Human Services, statistics surrounding the opioid crisis include:
- 70,630 people died from a drug overdose in 2019
- 1.6 million people had an opioid use disorder in the past year
- 745,000 people used heroin in the past year
- 1.6 million people misused prescription pain relievers for the first time
- 48.006 deaths attributed to overdosing on synthetic opioids other than methadone
- 10.1 million people misused prescription opioids in the past year
- 2 million people used methamphetamine in the past year
- 50,000 people used heroin for the first time
- 14,480 deaths attributed to overdosing on heroin
Hulu describes “Dopesick” as a series that examines how one company triggered the worst drug epidemic in American history. The series takes viewers to the epicenter of America’s struggle with opioid addiction, from the boardrooms of Big Pharma, to a distressed Virginia mining community, to the hallways of the DEA. Defying all odds, heroes will emerge in an intense and thrilling ride to take down the craven corporate forces behind this national crisis and their allies. The limited series is inspired by the New York Times bestselling book of the same name by Beth Macy.
Help for Opioid Addiction at Top Drug Rehab Centers
Awareness of the opioid epidemic is one of the best weapons to fight against it. The more people know about it and are educated on the topic, the more preventative measures there are in place. Understanding how it came to be and what happens when opioids take hold of your life are all essential to know, even as children, in the fight against the epidemic.
However, for many people, it can be too late. Whether you have been prescribed opioids by your doctor or you have fallen into the wrong crowd, opioid addiction can take hold very quickly, and it does not discriminate. Luckily, opioid addiction is treatable at rehab facilities in Los Angeles, such as Seasons in Malibu.
- Detox from opioids safely and comfortably with medicated-assisted detox
- Relax in with luxurious, resort-style accommodations and amenities
- Enjoy delicious gourmet meals prepared by a chef daily
- Take advantage of activities such as Beach walks, Swimming, Sports, Meditation,
- Cooking classes, Nutrition therapy, Art therapy, Massage, Acupuncture, Yog,
- Surfing, Hikes, Personal trainers, Martial arts, and much more
- Work with top-rated professionals in the industry
- Receive individualized treatment and care
- Be prepared with a comprehensive aftercare plan
Nestled just outside of the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles in scenic Malibu, our addiction treatment facilities have all the comforts of home and more. Laundry services, rooms cleaned by the maids, and just down the driveway, Matador Beach. You will find a serene environment to help facilitate calmness and personal growth to return home as a better you.
Seasons in Malibu: A Best Rated Rehab Center
Seasons In Malibu is leading the way in advancing the treatment of alcoholism and drug abuse through innovative approaches and specialized treatment options combined with evidence-based therapies. Our luxury drug rehab center is one of the finest in the world, as we treat the entire body using the latest medical, holistic, and scientific modalities while incorporating them into a unique one-on-one experience for our clients.
Our highly trained staff of MDs, psychotherapists, and holistic practitioners are encouraged to connect with clients and open their minds to new modes of thinking. Our community also incorporates a systemic family treatment model into the process, so our clients have the most excellent chance for long-term sobriety after leaving Seasons In Malibu.
We pride ourselves on being the best rehab center in the US because treatment at Seasons in Malibu is systemic, integrative, and client-centered. Our entire staff are invested in your well-being and are ready around the clock to guide you or a trusted friend or family member through the initial steps of overcoming drug or alcohol addiction. Our approach towards healing is collaborative, comprehensive, and committed.
For more information, visit seasonsmalibu.com.