How Prescription Drug Abuse Impacts Teens
Prescription pill misuse and abuse is an epidemic suffered by millions. Addiction knows no bounds—whether you are wealthy, poor, homeless, or living in a dream home—anybody can suffer from the deadly grip of addiction. Prescription drug abuse impacts teens in many ways, including some that result in lifelong consequences. This includes teenagers during vulnerable years of growth. Keep reading to learn more about teen prescription pill abuse, including what happens, how to spot it, and how to get help at top drug rehabilitation centers.
Statistics Surrounding Teens and Prescription Pill Abuse
Statistics surrounding teens and prescription pill abuse, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, includes:
- Overdose deaths involving prescription drugs—including pain relievers, benzodiazepines, and antidepressants—increased steadily throughout the 1990s, peaked in 2017 and then decreased steadily in 2018 and 2019, and then increased again in 2020.
- Increases were linked to a rise in the misuse of prescription opioid pain relievers, as well as the presence of fentanyl in the drug supply.
- In 2013, only 9% of deaths (1,630 deaths) involving prescription drugs also involved fentanyl.
- In 2019, more than 46% of deaths (10,400 deaths) involving prescription drugs also involved fentanyl.
- Among young people ages 15-24, deaths involving prescription drugs have been relatively steady over the last decade.
- 5 of the top 10 reasons teenagers misuse prescription drugs have to do with accessibility.
- 62% of teenagers say they choose to abuse prescription drugs because they’re easy to get from parents’ medicine cabinets.
How Teen Drug Use Impacts Their Future Forever
Prescription pill abuse is harmful to anyone’s body, but it is especially harmful to a teenager’s body. The body and brain are in the process of developing, and prescription pill abuse can stunt growth throughout the body, causing permanent damage.
According to SAMHSA, during adolescence, the prefrontal cortex further develops to enable us to set priorities, formulate strategies, allocate attention, and control impulses. The outer mantle of the brain also experiences a burst of development, helping us to become more sophisticated at processing abstract information and understanding rules, laws, and codes of social conduct. Drug use impacts perception—a skill adolescent brains are actively trying to cultivate—and can fracture developing neural pathways. Additionally, as our brains are becoming hardwired during adolescence, the pathways being reinforced are the ones that stick. If those pathways include addiction, the impact may lead to life-long challenges.
Prescription Pill Abuse Symptoms
It is essential to know the symptoms of prescription pill abuse so that you can get help for your loved one at top drug rehabilitation centers as quickly as possible before any life-long consequences form. There are important behavioral symptoms to look out for as well as physical changes.
- Acting irresponsibly
- Acting secretive
- Avoiding eye contact
- Damaging relationships
- Decline in performance at work or school
- Dropping old friends for a new social group
- Frequent anger or aggressiveness
- Frequently asking for money
- Frequently breaking the rules and not abiding by consequences or punishments
- Frequent tardiness or absence from school or work
- Ignoring curfew
- Isolating from family or seemingly avoiding family
- Losing interest in activities they once enjoyed
- Sleeping more than usual or less than usual
- Wearing long sleeves during inappropriate weather
- Poor hygiene
- Looking unkempt
- Bloodshot eyes
- Glassy eyes
- Frequent runny nose
- Mood swings
- Bruises on arms or legs
- Pupils that are too large or too small
- Sweaty palms
- Sores on the mouth or face
- Swollen face
- Marked weight loss or weight gain
- Frequently sick
Help At California Rehab Seasons in Malibu
If you suspect prescription pill abuse symptoms in your teenager and need help from top drug rehabilitation centers, Seasons in Malibu is here for you. Your child will receive medicated-assisted detox to help them become physically sober as safe and comfortable as possible, receive individualized treatment, and a comprehensive aftercare protocol to help guide your family through recovery.
At Seasons In Malibu, the healing process begins at the moment you arrive at our luxury drug rehab in Malibu. Your teenager will immediately undergo a medical assessment to determine the detox treatment method appropriate for them, as we believe in the principle of individualized treatment. We first establish the right medication and therapy for each patient through the assessment process; then, patients are reassessed every week. Their treatment plan is modified throughout their stay according to their progress. Each of our patients is constantly and carefully monitored, so any problems, such as symptoms of prescription pill abuse, are addressed immediately as they appear.
Treatment at Seasons in Malibu is systemic, integrative, and client-centered. It is a priority for us that our life-changing drug and alcohol treatment be available to those who need it, no matter who they are. Whether you are an executive adult or a teenager, we are here for you and fully familiar with how much strength it takes to ask for help. Our counselors are invested in your well-being and are ready around the clock to guide you and your family through the initial steps of overcoming drug or alcohol addiction. Our approach towards healing is collaborative, comprehensive, and committed.
For more information on getting your child the help they need from prescription pill abuse symptoms, visit seasonsmalibu.com