How Can People Live With And Treat Behavioral Addiction?
Behavioral addiction can seem very different from drug or alcohol addiction from the outside. However, the consequences are just as monumental and the symptoms can be just as debilitating. Behavioral addiction spans a wide spectrum of things, with anything from sex to gambling. If you or someone you love is experiencing a behavioral addiction, keep reading to learn more about it and how to get help for behavioral addiction at a rehab for professionals.
What is Behavioral Addiction?
According to the National Library of Medicine, behavioral addiction, such as internet addiction, is similar to drug addiction except that in the former, the individual is not addicted to a substance but the behavior or the feeling brought about by the relevant action. In addition, the physical signs of drug addiction are absent in behavioral addiction. Others have stated that behaviorally addicted individuals have certain symptoms and will undergo the same consequences brought about by addiction to alcohol and drugs as well as other obsessive behaviors.
In addition, similar to substance abuse prevention, programs aimed at addicted individuals and specialized training can educate adolescents about the warning signs of online addiction, in order to assist the early detection of this disorder. For prevention of behavioral addiction (such as internet addiction) authorities, cultural institutions, and parents should monitor the use of the internet and teach the adolescent and children, the useful and appropriate methods of internet use.
Behavioral addiction can include:
- Love and relationships
- Tattoos and piercings
Signs and Symptoms of Behavioral Addiction
Signs and symptoms of behavioral addiction that may indicate it is time to seek rehab for professionals include:
- Spending too much time on the behavior
- Constantly thinking about the behavior and the next time you get to engage in it
- Inability to stop or slow the behavior, even if it gets in the way of work, school, or important events
- Physical or mental harm and continuing anyway
- Neglecting work, school, friends, family, and important events
- Depression and irritability when not engaging in the behavior when desired
- Lying or hiding the extent of the behavior
- Feeling that, without it, you do not feel normal
Rehab for Professionals Treatment for Behavioral Addiction
Behavioral addiction can strike anyone, no matter their age or socioeconomic status. At Seasons in Malibu, we offer an executive rehab designed to address the therapeutic needs of professionals and executives who have been diagnosed with a Substance-Related or Addictive Disorder and require a residential treatment program.
The PTP in beautiful Malibu, CA offers the licensed professional / executive an exceptional level of residential care in a calm, professional, supportive and intimate environment. The program is ideal for any professional whose substance use has negatively affected his or her health, family, and overall wellbeing. The treatment program also addresses the demands and pressures placed on licensed professionals by guiding them towards a process of addiction recovery and facilitating their efforts in returning to professional practice.
We offer a safe, supportive, and respectful treatment & rehab environment which includes:
- One-on-one therapy with a doctoral-level primary therapist at least twice a week.
- Medical and psychiatric care at least once a week by highly qualified physicians.
- Twice weekly reviews with an assigned master’s level case manager.
- Weekly review of the patient’s progress by an experienced 10-person treatment team.
- Regular updates with referents.
- Customized treatment plans with clearly defined goals, objectives, and interventions.
- Professional topic groups.
- Nutritional and spiritual counseling.
- Weekly family therapy sessions, either in person or via Skype.
- Daily exercise and access to holistic modalities like massage and acupuncture.
- Post-treatment continuing care planning.
- Return-to-work recommendations.
Living with Behavioral Addiction
Living with behavioral addiction can seem challenging on the outside, especially if the behavior is something necessary like food, exercise, shopping, or sex. However, identifying your triggers and learning the tools necessary to control your behavior can help you engage with these activities in a healthy way.
At our facility, throughout the patient’s treatment stay, the treatment team will be actively engaged in identifying the particulars regarding the patient’s post-treatment monitoring and continuing care needs. These plans are finalized well before discharge and typically include referrals to any needed medical, psychiatric or psychological care. With ongoing support, help, and care, living with behavioral addiction after treatment is possible. A healthy, happy life in recovery awaits.
More About Rehab for Professionals at Seasons in Malibu
The executive program rehab for professionals is perfect for the following demanding and high-stress professions:
- Law Enforcement Officers
- Behavioral Health Clinicians
- Airline Pilots
- Members of the Clergy
- Executive / CEO’s
- Other Business Professionals
Our program also addresses co-occurring addictive behaviors and mental health issues and provides exceptional support for spouses, significant others, children, and other family members. We are proud to offer complete confidentiality and discretion, as well as access to laptops and phones to allow you to continue your work.
Treatment at Seasons in Malibu is systemic, integrative, and client-centered. With our superior team of clinicians, we are able to succinctly pinpoint those areas of focus that will give the client the most advanced opportunity for success. Our approach towards healing is collaborative, comprehensive, and committed.
For more information, visit seasonsmalibu.com