You have finally decided to go to rehab for your issues with alcohol, the first step in your journey to a better life. It is easy to see the big picture of getting sober and having a better life; however, it can often be easier said than done. Whether you’re heading off to a “rehab near me” or flying to luxury rehab in Malibu from another area, keep reading for the best tips to prepare for a stay in rehab for alcohol.
Tie Up Loose Ends with Obligations and Logistics
Going to rehab for alcohol means you need to put your life on pause for a period of time. Whether that is 30, 60, or 90 days, you need to completely immerse yourself in the experience to gain the most out of it. If you start worrying about things back home, you may be tempted to leave early and disrupt your progress. In order to get the most out of your alcohol rehab stay, you will need to tie up any loose ends you have with responsibilities, obligations, and other logistics. Some things to keep in mind include:
- Caregiving for children and pets
- Sign up for automatic payments for your bills if you haven’t already
- Informing your employer, citing the Family and Medical Leave Act in which you are allowed up to 12 weeks of medical leave
It can be tempting to overpack when heading off for a month or more, whether it is to a rehab near me or elsewhere. A month is a long time, after all, and you want to make sure you have all your comforts of home. However, it is important you only bring certain essentials. Anything you may need or have forgotten can be arranged for you, so keep stress low when packing and don’t get overwhelmed.
Some key things to remember to bring with you include:
- Your ID
- Prescriptions and medical insurance information
- Favorite hygiene and cosmetic products
- Credit cards
- List of contact information, including addresses to write letters
- Comfortable clothing, including shoes and pajamas
Start a Journal
While you are preparing for a stay in rehab for alcohol, start a journal. Write down all the reasons you are becoming sober, how you are feeling heading into your journey, and any fears or excitement you have. Bring your journal with you to not only keep track of how you’re feeling and your progress along your journey but also look back on during tough days to remind yourself of why you’re becoming sober in the first place.
Going to rehab for alcohol isn’t an easy process for many. That is why it is crucial to prepare yourself mentally for the journey ahead by working on self-care and lowering your stress levels. The more anxiety you have going into rehab, the more difficult it is to walk through the door on the big day.
A significant anxiety for many who are attending rehab is the unknown. The more research you do into what rehab is like, including the programs you will be part of and the facility itself, the better you will feel.
Some things to expect in rehab include:
- Medicated-assisted detox. Detoxing your body from alcohol through medicated-assisted detox is the first step. You will be in the safe care of around-the-clock medical staff who are specially trained in addiction. You will be made as comfortable as possible during this experience.
- Therapy treatment. Individual treatment, group therapy, and family therapy are all part of your stay. You may also be receiving treatment for any co-occurring disorders with dual diagnosis.
- Holistic therapy. In addition to evidence-based therapy treatments, you will also participate in holistic treatment such as massage, exercise, yoga, surfing, and more.
- Aftercare planning. Before you leave the facility, we make sure you have an aftercare plan in place with action items. These include relapse prevention, boundaries with family, how to handle triggers, and much more.
About Seasons in Malibu
Preparing for a stay in rehab for alcohol will help make you feel more comfortable on the day you walk in our doors. The more you can prepare and research what is to come, the more you will be able to get out of your stay with us. We will make sure you are happy, comfortable, and have everything you need. We provide everything from delicious, healthy meals cooked by gourmet chefs to laundry service to pristine, resort-like grounds.
Seasons In Malibu is leading the way in advancing the treatment of alcoholism and drug abuse through innovative approaches and specialized treatment options. Our luxury drug rehab center is one of the finest in the world, ensuring the best long-term success possible for your sobriety.
Our highly trained staff of MDs, psychotherapists, and holistic practitioners are encouraged to connect with clients and open their minds to new modes of thinking. Our community also incorporates a systemic family treatment model into the process, so our clients have the greatest chance of long-term sobriety after leaving Seasons In Malibu.
With our superior team of clinicians, we can succinctly pinpoint those areas of focus that will give the client the most advanced opportunity for success. Our approach towards healing is collaborative, comprehensive, and committed.
For more information, visit seasonsmalibu.com.