How Does Detox Work in Luxury Drug Treatment?
Detox is one of the first, and one of the most important, steps in drug and alcohol addiction recovery. Although a sustainable, long-term recovery involves much more than simply becoming and staying sober, it is still a very important piece of your overall recovery puzzle. Find out some general timelines and symptoms, why detox is important, and what medications are offered in luxury drug treatment centers so that you know “how does detox work in luxury drug treatment?”
How Does Detox Work: Timeline and Symptoms
The amount of time detox may take and the symptoms that are experienced can vary from person-to-person. Some determining factors for these include:
- Severity of addiction. The more severe your addiction is, the longer it may take for you to detox.
- Length of addiction. The sooner you’re able to detox, the better you are able to “bounce back”.
- Age. Younger individuals may have an easier detox recovery than older adults.
- Weight. The heavier an individual, the more time it may take to detox drugs or alcohol from the body.
- Gender. Men in the United States report higher rates of drug abuse (7.7% of American men vs. 5% of American women).
- Underlying mental health issues. Underlying mental health issues, whether diagnosed or undiagnosed, can make for more difficult emotional and behavioral symptoms.
- Cocaine and methamphetamines: 7-10 days. The majority of symptoms peak and subside within the first 72 hours, however, mood swings can remain ongoing for about a week to up to a month in severe cases.
- Heroin and other opioids: 7 days. Most people won’t start feeling withdrawal symptoms until 6-12 hours after the last dose, and symptoms peak around day 3. Opioid detox is one of the most comfortable because the individual is slowly weaned off and experiences minimal symptoms from the start.
- Alcohol: 7 days. Alcohol can cause severe withdrawal symptoms, such as hallucinations and seizures. Delirium tremens is a severe form of this and can be fatal. This makes detox especially important for individuals addicted to alcohol. These symptoms typically subside after about 7 days.
Typical symptoms experienced in detox include:
- Abdominal cramping
- Appetite issues
- Dilated pupils
- Excessive sweating
- High blood pressure
- Muscle aches
- Rapid heartbeat
- Runny nose
- Uncontrollable yawning
Why Detox in Luxury Drug Treatment is Important
Detox can be an uncomfortable experience without the help of medical professionals and resources. Going through detox can be a major deterrent for people getting help in the first place, and is something that many people are fearful of. However, it is extremely important to go through this process to get the best possible results from your luxury drug treatment experience.
- Better focus on treatment. The sooner you are able to begin therapy and participate in treatment, the better your chances are for recovery. The best way to achieve this is by having a comfortable detox experience.
- Surrounded by around-the-clock medical care. Anytime you are feeling terrible, experience a new symptom, think something just doesn’t feel right, or are experiencing a medical emergency during detox, you can rest assured that you are in good hands with around-the-clock medical care.
- Support during the most sensitive time. The detox period is when cravings are at their highest, making individuals extremely vulnerable to relapse. By experiencing detox in luxury drug treatment, you will be surrounded by support and resources during this crucial time to minimize your risk of relapse exponentially.
- Comfort. Detox can be debilitating, and in some cases deadly, if experienced alone without medical help. Detox in luxury drug treatment minimizes these symptoms so that you feel as comfortable as possible.
Medications Offered in Detox
Some examples of medications offered during detox in luxury drug treatment include:
- Sleep aids
- Anxiety medication
- Depression medication
- Tapering off medication, such as Methadone or Suboxone
- Anti-nausea medication
- Craving blockers, such as Naltrexone or Naloxone
- Medication that produces adverse effects if alcohol is consumed
About Seasons in Malibu
Aside from deciding to get treatment and choosing the right luxury drug treatment center for you, detox is one of the most important first steps toward recovery. Experiencing detox alone can be extremely uncomfortable, debilitating, or even fatal. In a luxury drug treatment center, you will experience minimal symptoms and will be surrounded by medical care, luxury amenities, and industry professionals, including 24/7 medical staff to ensure safety and comfort, to help you through this crucial period.
Treatment at Seasons in Malibu is systemic, integrative and client-centered. Our philosophy is grounded in the understanding that in order for the client to heal, the entire system needs the opportunity to heal along with them. Seasons in Malibu is a CARF-accredited, licensed, substance abuse and mental health treatment center in beautiful Malibu, CA.
We specialize in treating a wide variety of addictions, such as alcohol dependence, opiate addiction, cocaine addiction, sex addiction, gambling addiction, and prescription drug abuse. We are also licensed and accredited to treat mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, complex trauma, and PTSD. It is a priority for us that our life-changing drug and alcohol treatment be available to the people who need it. We are fully familiar with how much strength and courage it takes to pick up the phone and ask for help.
For more information, visit seasonsmalibu.com