Personality disorders are often misunderstood and few people are aware of what occurs when someone has a problem like borderline personality disorder. Borderline personality disorder is a type of mental illness that can cause intense and unstable emotions, impulsive behavior, distorted thinking patterns, and erratic mood changes.
People with BPD may struggle to regulate their emotions and find it difficult to manage relationships, leading to frequent conflict and interpersonal turmoil. They are often overwhelmed by emotions, particularly fear and anxiety, and unable to think clearly. They may also experience intense feelings of emptiness or hopelessness and have difficulty trusting other people.
Recognizing an illness like borderline personality disorder can be complicated because it can share symptoms with other disorders. However, there are certain patterns that take place in borderline personality disorder that make it a unique and difficult illness.
Do you need to know more about personality disorder treatment? Call us today at 424.235.2009.
9 Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder
Here are the common symptoms that people experience with such a disorder:
- Frequent efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment such as cutting off communication with someone they fear will abandon them.
- Distorted and unstable image of themselves that can cause difficulty in maintaining relationships and dealing with their issues of trust.
- Rapidly changing relationships and view of others often switching from intense love to extreme dislike and anger.
- Recurring thoughts of suicide and feelings of depression.
- Self-harming behavior such as cutting when experiencing an episode of depression or anxiety.
- Impulsive and risky behavior such as shopping sprees, substance abuse or reckless driving that leads to negative consequences.
- Widely varying moods that come in episodes of a few hours to a few days and range from depression, irritability, anxiety, or extreme paranoia.
- Problems managing anger issues including intense, inappropriate, and uncontrollable fits of anger.
- Difficulty trusting people because of an irrational fear of people’s intentions as well as extreme sensitivity to rejection.
Individuals with borderline personality disorder may also have problems regulating their thoughts and behavior. This can lead to difficulties in relationships, school, and work. Treatment for borderline personality disorder can include medication, psychotherapy, and supportive care from family and friends.
It is important to remember that with proper treatment, individuals with borderline personality disorder can lead healthy, productive lives. It may take time and dedicated effort, but recovery is possible. With the right support network in place, individuals can manage their symptoms and live happy, fulfilling lives.
It is also important to note that a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder does not mean an individual is doomed to a life of suffering. With adequate treatment and support from family and friends, it is possible for people with this disorder to find relief from the distress they experience. If you or someone you know is struggling with the symptoms of borderline personality disorder, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. It can make all the difference.
Take care and remember that recovery is possible. With support from loved ones and proper treatment, individuals can learn how to manage their symptoms and live healthy, productive lives.
Seasons In Malibu Can Help
If you or a loved one is struggling with the symptoms of borderline personality disorder, Seasons In Malibu can help. Our experienced team of mental health professionals provides an individualized treatment plan tailored to your needs. We provide a safe, comfortable environment with around-the-clock care and support. We can help you or your loved one on the road to recovery.
At Seasons In Malibu, we believe in healing and growth. Our experienced team is here to assist you in finding balance and stability so that you can live a life of joy and peace. Contact us today at 424.235.2009 and start on the path to a healthier tomorrow.